Posted on March 16 2020
Proper care and feeding of the human body. Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic dish made from beans and rice. Kitchari is known for its ability to reduce inflammation in the body and balance all three doshas: vata, pitta, and kapha. Kitchari means one pot mixture in Hindi.
Kitchari provides one perfect protein as the mung dal bean and basmati rice combine. It's made with seasonal vegetables, ghee, and spices. The mung beans are known for their ability to remove toxins from the body.
We like to switch out the veggies as the season changes. Some favorites are squash, carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli. Try your preferred veggies and make it your own.
1 cup yellow mung dal
½ cup white basmati rice
2 tablespoons ghee (or coconut oil)
4 cardamom pods, cracked
2 bay leaves
5 cups water or more
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 to 5 cups chopped seasonal vegetables
1. Rinse the mung dal and rice 3 times, or until the water runs clear.
2. Measure out all of the spices into a cup—this makes it less likely that you’ll burn your spices while searching for the others.
3. Heat the ghee or oil in a large pot. Add all of the spices and sauté together on medium heat for a minute until fragrant. Be careful not to overdo this stage—it’s better to err on the side of caution on your first attempt than risk frazzling the spices and making them bitter or burnt.
4. Stir in the mung dal and rice. Add 5 cups of water and any chopped vegetables. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, lid on.
5. Cook for at least 40 minutes (longer if using whole green mung beans), or until the dal and rice are completely soft (easily squashed between finger and thumb). The kitchari will have a porridge-like consistency and the ghee will have risen to the top. Add more water if necessary.
6. Adjust the seasoning and garnish with fresh chopped herbs, if you like.
Proper care and feeding of the human body. Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic dish made from beans and rice. Kitchari is known for its ability to...Read More
SERVES 4 1 cup Quinoa 1 3/4 cup Water 2 Bay leaves 1/2 tsp Turmeric 1 tbsp Ghee 1 Onion, chopped 1 Carrot, cut in small pieces 2 cl...Read More
Soothing Saffron Milk
Trouble sleeping? Saffron milk may help establish healthy sleep cycles. Saffron is the magical spice of the fairies. Deep crimson in color, saffron...Read More